Senegal’s free spirit, Cheikh Lô, and Buena Vista Social Club’s veterans Eliades Ochoa and Omara Portuondo
The July 2015 (#109) edition is on sale in the UK from today. The free exclusive 15-track covermount CD features ten tracks from our latest Top of the World albums and a guest playlist by soul singer Joss Stone.
Featured on the Top of the World CD are new tracks from kora player Seckou Keita, multi-instrumentalist Efrén López and Cheikh Lô.
This issue also includes…
• Cheikh Lô – Senegalese singer talks with Peter Culshaw in Dakar about his spiritual antidote to hardline Islam.
• Le Vent du Nord – The progressive French-Canadian folk group talk about keeping Québécois traditions alive.
• Omara Portuondo & Eliades Ochoa– We chat to the Cuban veterans, and conclude that there is still plenty of life left in the old BVSC stalwarts…
• Criolo – The popular Brazilian rapper talks with Russ Slater about the problems facing Brazil.
• Rajasthani Folk Music – Traditional musicians are devising inventive ways to find new audiences in the Indian state.
• Beginner’s Guide: music star Juan Luis Guerra informs us.
• My World: A playlist and interview with soul singer Joss Stone.
• Introducing… Daymé Arocena and Keston Cobblers Club.
• Spotlight on the Lyre of Ur.
• Quick Fire: Natasha Solomons, James Shepard & Nancy Kerr.
• What’s New, including the EtnoKraków Festival, Jenny Hill’s Songs of Separation Project, and Larmer Tree Festival celebrates its 25th anniversary.
• The Songlines Essential 10 Cuban albums.
• Reviews of the latest CD, book and world cinema releases.